Different software patches have other functions. We have those indicated for operating systems, applications, platforms, Android… They protect devices against external threats, and in many cases, they are updates that improve the different software.
What are software patches, and what are they for?
Patches are pieces of software that are installed by downloading them to the software that requires it.
They serve to seek improvements, correct errors, update or add new functionalities and are developed by the same provider or by those who have the source code.
In many cases, they are free and are implemented without the need to pay a maintenance fee.
What is clear is that thanks to patches, the performance of software already installed on the computer is improved.
The issue of freedom depends on the provider. Specific updates require an expense accompanied by the corresponding invoice, but, as we have said, there are no fixed rules in this regard.
Patch management. How should they be implemented?
Sometimes the companies are reluctant to install software patches, and many do not even have a complete idea of which ones have been applied and the possible existence of gaps in their system.
This is due to:
Applying them may delay starting a computer, for example, when installing updates or some downtime due to their implementation.
Some companies prefer to continue working with what they already have and it is installed than to incorporate new updates because they fear that it will affect the operation of their equipment in some way, without realizing that without these patches, they are exposed to possible cyberattacks if there are gaps of security.
But the truth is that managing them properly is of great importance in specific areas:
- Security: Without specific patches, the vulnerability can compromise networks at work. So-called security patches must be installed, including on the workers’ own devices, if they are to log into the corporate network.
- Troubleshooting: Often, software problems aren’t fixed until all updates are in order, even if the problem isn’t related to them.
- Audit: The patches must be ordered appropriately so that the validation is positive.
How to properly manage updates
Most businesses hire specialized ICT companies to manage software patches properly.
Some tools help with this, but preparation is also required for handling and correct use.
Those professionals who are specialized in tasks of this type know:
- If the system needs to be rebooted, an inevitable downtime will occur.
- The data formats that need to be updated.
- Whether to customize specific code.
In this way, the professional help the company in making decisions about which perches should be implemented and the necessary precautions.